So. I was kindof impressed with the veritas end vice for surviving the wallop the way it did. I mean, “Must survive having 500lb of bench and idiot dropped on the handle by the idiot” can’t have been on the design specs after all, and yet it managed it. So I wrote off to Veritas just to say nicely done lads, that’s a nice bit of kit. Because that sort of thing ought to happen to engineers a bit more often.
Ouch! We hope you are OK? Definitely a good test for the vise!!
Please let us have your full postal address and we will be very happy to send a replacement main shaft and handle at no charge. It will be our contribution to finishing off your bench as intended and having everything working and looking good. The shaft should be an easy switch by removing the spring pin in the handle and the two screws holding the end cap in place.
They’re posting – unasked for and free of charge – a replacement screw shaft for the vice, so it’d look its best.
I mean, I know, cheap marketing and so on, but still. Deserves a bit of a thumbs-up I thought. Can’t see Bosch doing that because I dropped a drill and the casing survived the impact. And it’s kindof — not to be too much of a leftie pinko commie hippie about it — but it’s kindof nice when a manufacturer does that sort of thing, especially these days.
So there it is. A nice little postscript to the build.
Forecast says dry till the afternoon, the TDL is short and Herself and Junior are off for a skite in the big schmoke, so time for the last push… Continue reading “Finished!” »
Nice dry day today, and only had to work for an hour, so it’s benchtime again!
You might have noticed that the benchtop’s lamination didn’t go as smoothly as it could have and the surface was a tad irregular as a result:
And indeed, you’d be right. I was not expecting a fun time flattening that out. And I was not wrong. Continue reading “Almost there…” »
Rather high winds over the last day or so, so I pulled off the tarp and clamps today.
No leaks in the tarp, glue seems to be gluing. Cool. Continue reading “Off the horses” »
Not quite a sunny day, but at least bright and reasonably dry. So got started after breakfast and flipped the bench back up onto the sawhorses. Holy pineapple but that thing’s getting heavy. Took the flush-cut saw to the pegs and a few of the more excessive tenon ends.
I do like the look of drawbored tenons. I’m not as fond of the surface after my flush-cut saw proved its manufacturers didn’t quite understand the concept of a flush-cut saw…
Time to mount the vice now. Continue reading “Fit vice, glue aprons” »
Right. Sunny morning, most of the last few days torrential rain dried up by the time breakfast was done, so out with the bench parts from the shed and onto the sawhorses and away we go. First thing to do is the finish making drawbore pegs, and then on we go with finally putting this thing together.
Hm. Help required here… Continue reading “Drawboring, vice holes and stress testing” »
Rain yesterday, rain tonight, but for a few hours, no rain. So, time to cut the last mortices (got the tenons for the long stretchers cut during the week).
This time, chopped the first five mm or so using a chisel the paul sellers way, and did that on both sides, then used the auger to remove the waste and cleaned up by chisel. Continue reading “Long stretchers” »
Got home with about a half-hour of daylight this evening, and got out the rubber mallet to knock the leg frames together and dry-fit them into the benchtop again to see how badly misaligned the frames were in daylight (I checked them late last night and they wouldn’t even line up, the long stretchers if flush to one leg frame were hanging out in mid-air several inches away from the other leg frame…)
I may have built a vampire bench, because they’re perfectly fine in daylight but they were several inches out last night (maybe the short stretchers are playing a role here…)
So yeah, cut the tenons, chop the mortices, knock it all together to dry-fit and then drawbore and glue and away we go. Continue reading “Vampire bench” »